Can we open a joint account?

Yes you can, but this facility is not available online. To open a joint account you will need to download an application form. Please complete this form, ensuring both of you sign it at the bottom.

Can we open an Investment Club account?

No - unfortunately we do not offer Investment Club accounts.

How do I fund my account?

Debit card - to fund your account using a debit card, click on the 'Make a payment' button, which can be found on the home page and in the secure section of the website. Please note that you cannot make payments using a credit card.

Bank Transfer - If you would like to make a payment directly from your bank account to ours, please use the following details:

Account Name: Jarvis Investment Management Ltd
Sort Code: 55-70-13
Bank Account: 78322936

Please ensure you quote your share dealing account number in the 'Reference' field.

For details on how to withdraw money from your account see, 'How do I request money from my account?'

How do I transfer in stock that I hold in the form of certificates?

If you have share certificates, you can transfer them to your Share dealing account by downloading the crest transfer form in the useful forms section of the website. Complete and return the form (one form per holding) together with your share certificate(s).

How do I transfer in stock from another broker?

Once you have opened an account, simply download, complete and return a transfer form. We will then contact your broker and make arrangements for the transfer of your shares.

How long does it take for stock to be transferred from another broker?

We will contact your existing broker on the day we receive your form. However, be aware that the speed of transfer is dependent on the efficiency of your existing broker. Shares held in an ISA are normally transferred within 28 days.

When can I start dealing?

You can start dealing as soon as we have advised you that your account has been opened and confirmed your account number. If you have applied online during office hours we will normally advise you on the same day.

How can I access my account online?

If you would like to take advantage of our online services, click on the Login link which can be found at the top of the page and scroll down to the 'Have you activated your account' section. Click on the 'Activate' button and follow the instructions.

What markets can I deal in?

You can buy and sell shares in most companies that are listed in the UK. This includes dealing in equities, bonds, warrants, ETFs, shares listed on the IRS (International Retail Service) and CDIs of US stocks. You can also deal over the phone in foreign shares that are listed on the major overseas markets. Full details of our foreign dealing commission can be found in the Our charges section of the website. If you wish to invest in a CDI of a US stock you will need to complete a W-8BEN form before you can trade. Full details can be found in the useful forms section of the website.

When can I trade?

You can trade during normal London Stock Exchange market hours - from 8.00am until 4.30pm, Monday to Friday (but not on Bank Holidays).

How do I place an order?

Placing an order is very easy. You can either call our dealing desk on 01892 510515 or deal online. If you wish to deal online, log-in to your account using the 'login' link at the top right hand side of the home page. Full details of how to use the online platform are available in the 'Help & Administration' section which you will find once you have logged in.

Can I sell (close) an unsettled purchase?

Yes you can, provided the settlement date has not been reached - this applies to nominee purchases only and not certified. When dealing over the telephone just inform the dealer which purchase you wish to close. Alternatively, you can close a bargain online if you have more than 2 days left before the due settlement date by navigating to the "active orders" section of the website and clicking the "closing bargain" icon.

Closing bargains are linked to the opening purchase and all fields on the "buy and sell" screen will be pre-populated to correspond with the opening bargain. If the closing order is entered before market opens, your trade will be entered as a "fill-or-kill" limit order which is good for today only. If the closing order is entered after the market has closed, your trade will be entered as a "fill-or-kill" limit order with an expiry date of the next working day.

Can I hold shares in an ISA?

Yes you can. If you haven't already got a stocks and shares ISA for this year, you can open one online by clicking the link from the home page and completing the online application form or by downloading an ISA Application Form. You can transfer in an ISA from another ISA manager by completing the transfer form and then signing and returning it to us. We will then contact your existing ISA manager and make all the necessary arrangements. The subscription allowance for the tax year is £. You can transfer existing share holdings in to your ISA by a process known as 'Bed & ISA'. Please call us for more details.

Bed and ISA's - What are they and how do they work?

Did you know you can take advantage of your ISA allowance without having to subscribe any new money by using a process known as "Bed and ISA". You simply instruct us to sell shares you already hold and transfer the proceeds (up to the annual allowance limit) to your ISA - the proceeds are then used to buy back your shares.

All you need to do is open an ISA account, if you haven't got one already, and then complete this form with details of which shares you would like to Bed and ISA from your Share dealing account, and email it to deal@jarvisim.co.uk.

Alternatively, if you hold the share certificate(s), send them to us, together with a signed Crest Transfer Form (one for each holding) and a copy of this form - please ensure you open an ISA online before sending us your certificates.

Crest Transfer Forms can be downloaded by clicking on the following link: http://www.sharedealactive.co.uk/assets/docs/CrestTransferForm.pdf.

Please note that when buying the same shares back there will be a small difference in price due to the bid/offer spread, you will be charged commission on the sale and the repurchase, and government stamp duty will apply on the purchase - this means you will not be able to buy back the same number of shares.

If you would like any more information, please call us or email us at deal@jarvisim.co.uk.

How long does a trade take to settle?

Normal settlement is 2 working days (T+2). You can deal up to T+20 but you should be aware that the market maker will normally charge a premium on the price.

When selling please note that the proceeds cannot be withdrawn until the settlement date.

Limit orders and stop losses?

You can place a limit order to buy shares when the price at which you are prepared to buy is below the current market share price. Alternatively you can place a limit sell order when the price at which you are prepared to sell is above the current market selling price. Should this price ever be reached, your order will be dealt in accordance with our Terms and Conditions. Your limit order will be held for the time period that you specified. Please note that you are responsible for cancelling these orders. Stop losses can also be set to help you limit any loss. If you are unsure about the use of limit orders or stop losses, please call our dealers who will be happy to help you. To place a limit order online, please also refer to the online user guide.

Please note that limit orders in the currencies EUR or USD can only be held for the day and will be cancelled at 4.30pm on that business day.

What is a contract note?

This is a confirmation of your transaction and is sent out to you by post or electronically via email or secure message after you have traded. If you have opted for email contract notes you may need to set your email security parameters to accept emails from us. The email address that will appear is from Message Centre.

When online, how secure is the account?

As you would expect, all the information sent between you and our offices is encrypted giving you total peace of mind.

When will my tax voucher be sent to me?

Tax vouchers are issued annually for dividends which are paid within the previous tax year where tax has been deducted. They will be posted to you shortly after the end of the tax year.

When will I receive my dividends?

Dividends are normally credited to your shareDeal active account on the day we receive them from the registrar. You may request payment of dividends from your account by opting for the quarterly income facility which is free - payments will then be made to you from your share dealing account in April, July, October and January for the preceding three months. Alternatively, dividend payments can be requested on an ad-hoc basis but will be subject to the cash withdrawal fee as detailed in the Account Charges section.

How do I request money from my account?

You can call us on 01892 510515 or you can email us at payments@jarvisim.co.uk, and we will BACs the money to the bank account details we have on file. Please allow three working days for the money to reach your bank account.

Can I access my account statement online?

Yes you can - cash transaction and trading history details are available once you have logged in to your account.

How do I change my bank details?

If you wish to change your bank details please write to us with a signed letter of instruction together with one of the following which displays your name, sort code and account number:

  • an original bank statement which is no more than 3 months old;
  • a branch printout of a bank statement that has been both stamped and signed by the branch manager;
  • an original bank letter that has been sent to you in the post and is dated within the last 3 months;
  • a void cheque or paying-in slip

If I move, how do I change my address on the account?

If you are moving, please write in or email us at clientdata@jarvisim.co.uk with your new address details. Once we have received them, your account will be updated within 24 hours - please make sure you quote your account number.

How do I transfer stock or funds to another broker?

You will first need to contact the broker to open an account with them and complete their transfer form. They will then send this to us and we will transfer the account on your behalf. A confirmation of the transfer will be sent to you via email. Please note, transferring UK stock costs £10 plus VAT per holding. Please contact us if you wish to transfer overseas stocks as the transfer-out fees vary, depending on where the stock is held.

Corporate actions

We will notify you in writing of any corporate actions.

Company reports

You can obtain free company reports by navigating to this link.

Can I change my email address online?

Yes you can. Simply log into your online account and click on the Help & Administration tab. Next click on the 'Amend personal details' link and there you will find the email address field which you can update.